Monday, July 18, 2011

MomMom turned 60!

My mom used to tell me about a moment when she saw a change in me. I was five years old and anxiously awaiting my first bus ride on my first day of school.  “I will give you twenty kisses before I leave”, I promised.  I’m sure that just melted my mom’s heart. But, the excitement of the day got the best of me and when I saw the yellow bus coming down the road, I ran out the door and forgot all about my mom and the twenty kisses I had promised. Supposedly,  and how my mom tells it, I came home a different girl that afternoon.  I was a little bit more independent and probably plenty more rebellious from that day forward.

To say that I caused my fair share of arguments throughout my teen years and into my early twenties would be an understatement. I am sure this is a familiar tune to many moms and dads raising teenage girls. In my case, my high school years of rebellion and disrespect rolled into my college days of making bad choices which then landed me on my own in the military. There was a lot of growing up I needed to do and I knew the military would afford me that opportunity. Still, there was something that all the military training in the world couldn’t teach me – the importance of family.
Finally, after six years in the military, a marriage, a divorce, another bad relationship, a deployment, meeting the love of my life, and having my first child – it has all clicked. Family is everything. My mom has always understood that and has given me many selfless years of showing it.  My heart melts at the way she lights up when Addisyn is around. Addisyn feels it, I feel it, and my mom feels it – the love of family. 

Mom, thank you for being such an amazing mom to us four kids and an even more amazing MomMom to Addisyn. I can’t explain the joy I feel when I see her reaching out for you and holding onto you. You make her happy and she knows she is loved in your arms. I will forever cherish these moments between the three of us and pass it on to my grandkids!  Happy 60th ~ We are so blessed!

~ Okay, but seriously...next time I am home we have to get a serious picture of you two!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful photograph...and such a wonderfully worded post...I hope your Mom had an amazing birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments...I love them :-)

Popular Posts